- After 11 years in the position
- Praise for Goodin
- Nicole Kivisto taking over
- Goodin said 79 words
(exechange) — Bismarck, North Dakota, August 17, 2023 — Dave Goodin, chief executive of MDU Resources, leaves his position. As announced by MDU Resources Group Inc. in a news release and in a regulatory filing published on Thursday, August 17, 2023, David L. (Dave) Goodin leaves his post as chief executive officer at the corporation supplying products and services to regulated energy delivery and utilities related construction materials and services businesses, after 11 years in the role, effective January 5, 2024.
Dave Goodin’s duties as CEO will be taken over by Nicole A. Kivisto, currently president and CEO of the electric and natural gas utility companies at MDU Resources Group Inc.
No reason given
In the announcement, MDU Resources did not explicitly explain the reason for the move.
Precise information regarding Dave Goodin’s future plans was not immediately available.
MDU Resources said: “David L. Goodin, president and CEO of MDU Resources Group, Inc. (NYSE: MDU), announced today that he intends to retire on Jan. 5, after a 40-year career with the company.”
MDU Resources further said: “On August 17, 2023, David L. Goodin, President and Chief Executive Officer of MDU Resources Group, Inc. (the “Company”), informed the Board of Directors (the “Board”) of the Company of his intention to retire as President and Chief Executive Officer effective as of end of day January 5, 2024.”
Share price increase since August 2018
The announcement follows an increase in MDU Resources Group Inc.’s share price of 9% since August 2018.
In the position of CEO since 2013
Dave Goodin became CEO of the Company in 2013.
His bio reads as follows:
- President and chief executive officer and a director of the company since January 4, 2013.
- Prior to January 4, 2013, served as chief executive officer and president of Intermountain Gas Company, Cascade Natural Gas Corporation, Montana-Dakota Utilities Co., and Great Plains Natural Gas Co.
- Began his career in 1983 at Montana-Dakota Utilities Co. as a division electrical engineer and served in positions of increasing responsibility until 2007 when he was named president of Cascade Natural Gas Corporation; positions included division electric superintendent, electric systems manager, vice president-operations, and executive vice president-operations and acquisitions.
Other Leadership Experience
- Member of the U.S. Bancorp Western North Dakota Advisory Board since January 2013.
- Director of Sanford Bismarck, an integrated health system dedicated to the work of health and healing, and Sanford Living Center, from January 2011 through December 2021.
- Board member of the BSC Innovations Foundation, an extension of Bismarck State College providing curriculum to Saudi Arabia industries, since August 1, 2018.
- Current vice chair of the North Dakota State University (NDSU) Foundation and Alumni Association, a foundation with a mission of cultivating a culture of philanthropy through educating students, engaging alumni and supporters, and growing future leaders.
- Former board member of numerous industry associations, including the American Gas Association, the Edison Electric Institute, the North Central Electric Association, the Midwest ENERGY Association, and the North Dakota Lignite Energy Council.
79 words by Dave Goodin
In the news release announcing his departure as CEO of MDU Resources Group Inc., Dave Goodin received praise.
In announcing his departure, Dave Goodin said 79 words.
“Looking forward to this next chapter in my life”
Dave Goodin stated: “It has been my great honor to work for MDU Resources, alongside thousands of other employees who are providing essential products and services each day across the country. I am also looking forward to this next chapter in my life, knowing the company is in good hands. Nicole will do an excellent job as my successor. I am confident that her proven strategic leadership will serve MDU Resources well as it transitions to a pure-play regulated energy delivery business.”
Push-out Score for Dave Goodin’s move determined
The Push-out Score indicates on a scale of 0 to 10 how likely it is that Dave Goodin was pushed out or felt pressure to leave his position.
exechange reached out to MDU Resources and offered the company the opportunity to comment on the score.
Read the full story in the exechange report 34.2023 ($).